The count of new international students starting at UC Berkeley climbed 29% this year, to 2,911 — even as the tally of new foreign students arriving at U.S. campuses nationwide dropped 17%. The visa clampdown meant to thin out California's marquee campuses hasn't, at least not on the timeline its architects wanted.
A syndicated EdSource analysis making the rounds this week frames Trump's second-term visa restrictions as a statewide non-event for undergraduate recruitment, and the University of California's own fall 2025 data backs the counterintuitive headline. But the resilience is lopsided: it sits at the undergraduate level, where campuses can backfill with higher-paying nonresidents, while graduate programs — the ones that actually run UC's labs — are already contracting. And the sternest test, a federal rule limiting student visas to a fixed four-year term, doesn't bite until September 15.
The EdSource analysis (external source, opens in a new tab), picked up by regional outlets this week, reports that international first-year undergraduate enrollment across UC edged up, barely, in the years bracketing the start of Trump's second term. The graduate picture is worse: EdSource puts the systemwide decline at 3% between 2024 and 2025, or about 600 fewer foreign students. Valerie Lundy-Wagner of the Public Policy Institute of California cautioned the outlet that untangling the effect of visa rules, funding cuts and travel bans could take years — but predicted that UC's global standing would keep drawing applicants regardless.
Berkeley is the sharpest example. UC figures detailed by Berkeleyside and Open Campus (external source, opens in a new tab) in January show new international enrollment at Cal rising 29% to 2,911 for fall 2025 — a mirror image of the 17% national falloff in new arrivals the Institute of International Education logged in a November report. Total international enrollment at the campus barely moved, dipping to 7,158; China remained the largest source country, ahead of India, South Korea and Canada.
Jesse Rothstein, who directs Berkeley's Center for Studies in Higher Education, told Berkeleyside that the widespread summer fears about whether foreign students would land visas and still want to come simply never came to pass.
That headline resilience carries an asterisk. Berkeley spokesperson Janet Gilmore said the campus set out to recruit more nonresident students — who pay stiff supplemental tuition on top of in-state charges — to make up for a prior-year dip and a large graduating class of nonresidents. Part of the international "boom," in other words, is a budget maneuver as much as undimmed prestige. The same release showed the UC system passing 300,000 students for the first time (external source, opens in a new tab), even as administrators flagged looming federal and state cuts.
None of the fall 2025 tallies capture the policy now bearing down on next year's class. On July 17, the Department of Homeland Security published a final rule (external source, opens in a new tab) scrapping the long-standing "duration of status" framework and pinning F and J visas to a fixed window of up to four years; students who need longer must file an extension, sit for biometrics and re-establish eligibility. It takes effect September 15. As The Dissent covered earlier this month, that ceiling falls hardest on doctoral candidates, whose programs routinely stretch past four years — the very graduate cohort UC is already shedding.
Foreign nationals account for roughly a third of UC's graduate students. Rachel Banks of NAFSA: Association of International Educators told Berkeleyside the administration is separately weighing curbs on Optional Practical Training, the post-graduation work window that lures many students in the first place, while rival universities in Europe and Asia chase the same recruits. The genuine measure of the crackdown, she argued, will be the fall 2026 headcount — a number the Bay Area won't see until UC reports it next year.

The Discussion
Sign in to join the discussion.
Loading…