San José's two largest municipal unions voted 97% to greenlight a three-day strike — but the road to an actual walkout detours first through a state mediation panel, the same procedural off-ramp that produced a settlement the last time the two sides got this close, in 2023.

The lopsided August 17 vote by the city's two biggest labor groups gives their leaders the option to pull as many as 4,500 librarians, parks staff, planners and airport workers off the job, in what would be the city's biggest labor action since 1981. But a green light is not a calendar date. The unions have asked to enter fact-finding, a state-run review that yields only non-binding recommendations before any picket line goes up. Underneath it sits a wage gap the city insists its books can't absorb: labor wants 14% over three years, management is offering 9%, and San José's budget has flipped from surplus to structural deficit inside a single contract cycle.

Thousands of San José city workers voted overwhelmingly this week to clear the way for a strike. It is a starting gun with a long fuse — not the walkout itself.

Two unions drove the vote. One, MEF-AFSCME Local 101, represents general municipal employees; the other, IFPTE Local 21, covers professional and technical staff. Their members backed the authorization by 97%, the unions said (external source, opens in a new tab), after four days of in-person balloting that closed Aug. 14. The result lets each bargaining team call a walkout lasting as long as three days. Together the two groups speak for roughly 4,500 municipal employees — the librarians, parks crews, permit reviewers and airport staff who run the city's daily services.

What the tally does not do is fix a date. As KQED reported (external source, opens in a new tab), the unions want to enter fact-finding before naming any strike days. In that step, a three-member panel assembled through the California Public Employment Relations Board weighs each side's final offer and hands back recommendations neither side is bound to accept — mediation, not a ruling. It is the choke point every California public-sector impasse must pass through, and clearing it can take weeks.

Every departure, she told KQED, drains hard-won expertise: "The loss of institutional knowledge is just really great."

That detail matters because San José has stood almost precisely here before. Two years ago, these same unions (external source, opens in a new tab) authorized a three-day walkout by an even wider 99% and set strike dates — then cut a raise deal with the city before anyone reached the sidewalk. An authorization, in short, is bargaining leverage as much as a threat.

What has shifted since then is the money. The council that approved the 2023 budget was working with a $35 million cushion. The plan adopted this June instead erased a $50 million hole, and officials expect to face another deficit next year. That swing is the heart of the dispute. The unions are pressing for a 14% raise over three years; the city has countered at 9%, saying it can only go higher if the fiscal picture brightens.

The city's human resources and employee relations director, Aram Kouyoumdjian, framed the standoff as a balancing act, telling KQED that San José is trying to head off a walkout while staying, in his words, "responsible stewards of the public's money." Department heads, he said, are readying contingency plans for what he called a serious possibility. The workers' contracts lapsed June 30.

For the rank and file, the fight is less about one raise than about who stays. Hannah Ornellas, who works on the city's trash and recycling operations, said pay tops the list of grievances because thin wages push colleagues toward better-paying neighbors. Every departure, she told KQED, drains hard-won expertise: "The loss of institutional knowledge is just really great." New hires, she added, mean stretches of retraining on routines the veterans already knew cold.

A strike, if it lands, would hit residents unevenly. Curbside garbage and recycling — handled by private contractors — would keep running. But library hours, permit turnaround and operations at Mineta San José International Airport could all sag, depending on the length of a stoppage and how many workers join it. For now the authorization is in hand, and the next move belongs to a mediation panel, not a picket captain.