The White House on Monday declassified and released roughly 150 pages of FBI files on Eric Swalwell and the suspected Chinese operative known as Fang Fang — files that document a sexual relationship the East Bay Democrat had already survived politically, and a bribery theory the bureau closed without charging him nearly a decade ago.

For readers in the district Swalwell represented for six terms, the release is less a bombshell than a time capsule with a 2026 postmark. The core facts — a counterintelligence probe, a "honeypot" fundraiser, an intern-placement scheme, and a congressman cleared of any crime — have been public since 2020. What is genuinely new is a handful of raw admissions Swalwell made to agents in 2015, and the fact that President Trump's transparency task force chose to publish them now, over the objections of the man they name.

The documents were declassified by President Trump and pushed out Monday by the White House Government Transparency Task Force, which framed the release as exposing foreign threats to U.S. elections. Newsmax (external source, opens in a new tab) and other outlets reported the files run to nearly 150 pages and detail the FBI's decade-old assessment that Christine Fang — carried in the records under the codename "Rusty Thumbs" — was likely operating on behalf of China's Ministry of State Security.

The investigative spine of the case is not new. As the China-influence outlet The Bureau (external source, opens in a new tab) reported, the probe — internally dubbed "Operation Freshman Fifteen" — examined whether Fang steered interns into the congressman's offices and routed campaign cash through American conduits to disguise its foreign origin, drawing scrutiny to a 2014 fundraiser at the Wynn in Las Vegas. Agents catalogued potential violations from bribery to prohibited foreign-national contributions. Prosecutors ultimately narrowed the case, declined to charge Swalwell, and cleared him as a subject; Fang left the country around 2015. All of that had already surfaced in national reporting back in 2020.

What the files add is Swalwell in his own words. In a 2015 interview, the released memos say, he told agents the two had been physically intimate a few times — encounters he described as casual, even as he sensed Fang wanted something more serious. One memo records that he barely remembered one such encounter because he had taken Ambien, which he said he uses to sleep. Six years ago, the public record held that no sexual relationship had been established; the memos rewrite that line.

None of it amounts to a crime he was charged with — a point Swalwell has hammered since the release was first floated this spring. When reports emerged that FBI Director Kash Patel was weighing publication, Swalwell's attorneys sent a cease-and-desist letter that called the plan "a transparent attempt to smear him" and stressed that no one had ever accused him of wrongdoing, per NBC News (external source, opens in a new tab). He dismissed the material as "nonsense" (external source, opens in a new tab) and told The Hill the move was "probably the worst abuse" of the bureau "since the J. Edgar Hoover days." (external source, opens in a new tab)

The timing is what mainstream Washington is chewing on. Even before the dump, Semafor reported the gambit could backfire (external source, opens in a new tab) on an administration selectively declassifying a closed case against a prominent Trump critic. The task force and Swalwell's own lawyers both frame the fight around a run for governor — but that premise is outdated. The Dissent reported earlier this year that Swalwell's gubernatorial campaign had already collapsed amid separate sexual-misconduct allegations from multiple women.

Strip away the salacious headline and what remains is narrow: a closed case, an old admission, and a document dump aimed at a campaign that no longer exists. Every account of the files converges on the one fact that matters most for the record — Swalwell was cleared, and Monday's release contains no new crime.