Former East Bay Rep. Eric Swalwell was pulled aside by the FBI at SFO on Saturday, his electronic devices confiscated, and a day later agents searched his home in Washington, D.C. — the sharpest escalation yet in a federal inquiry into sexual-assault allegations against a man who represented Alameda County for more than a decade.

The seizure is national news, and every major outlet has it. What the wires skip is the local geometry: the one alleged Bay Area assault falls inside Alameda County, the jurisdiction Swalwell's own district sat in and where he once worked as a prosecutor — and that county's District Attorney, a former political ally of Swalwell's, has been the quietest of every office now circling the case.

The FBI stopped Swalwell at SFO on Saturday, took his phones and other devices, and the next day searched his home in Washington, D.C. — both moves carried out under search warrants, the AP and NBC News reported (external source, opens in a new tab). The bureau declined to comment on the warrants.

It is the most aggressive step in the case since Swalwell resigned from Congress in April. He stepped down, the AP and NBC News (external source, opens in a new tab) reported, amid allegations that he assaulted a woman twice, one of them a former staffer, with three other women accusing him of misconduct ranging from unsolicited explicit messages to nude images. Two accusers who have spoken publicly told ABC7 (external source, opens in a new tab) they have since been interviewed by federal agents.

Swalwell has called the allegations "flat false," and his lawyer did not respond to messages, ABC7 reported (external source, opens in a new tab). None of the weekend's activity establishes wrongdoing: a search warrant requires only a judge's finding of probable cause that evidence may exist, and he has not been charged.

The local geometry is what the national coverage leaves out. California's 14th Congressional District, which Swalwell held for more than 12 years, sits entirely inside Alameda County, the Oaklandside reported (external source, opens in a new tab) — putting the lone alleged Bay Area assault in that county's jurisdiction. One accuser, a former staffer hired at 21, has said that in 2019 she had drinks with Swalwell at a Pleasanton restaurant and woke the next morning in his hotel room, the Oaklandside reported, citing the San Francisco Chronicle.

Swalwell has called the allegations "flat false," and his lawyer did not respond to messages, ABC7 reported.

And Alameda County has stayed the quietest of the venues involved. In April, then-interim District Attorney Ursula Jones Dickson said no accuser had contacted her office or local police. "With no victim, there is no case," she told NBC Bay Area (external source, opens in a new tab), adding that her office would investigate if someone came forward.

That silence is complicated by history. Swalwell himself was a prosecutor in the Alameda County DA's office from 2006 to 2012, overlapping there with Jones Dickson, the Oaklandside reported (external source, opens in a new tab). The two had been allies: she endorsed his run for governor, he endorsed her for district attorney, and his congressional campaign committee gave her campaign $1,000 in December. Jones Dickson rescinded her endorsement on April 11 and has denied any conflict — "I don't have a conflict," she said — while her primary opponent, Pamela Price, demanded the matter be referred to state Attorney General Rob Bonta.

Everywhere else, the case is moving. Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg has been examining a claim the same former staffer was raped in a New York hotel in 2024, and the Los Angeles County Sheriff is investigating a separate accusation, ABC7 reported (external source, opens in a new tab). Only Swalwell's home county has stayed on the sidelines.

The Dissent examined the last big Swalwell headline a week ago — a tranche of decade-old FBI files about his long-scrutinized contact with a suspected Chinese intelligence operative, the matter that got him pulled from the House Intelligence Committee in 2023. Saturday's warrants are a different order of thing, aimed squarely at the sexual-assault claims.

For a district that spent more than a decade watching Swalwell as its loudest national figure, the investigative machinery has landed on home ground. The one office that knows him best still hasn't moved.