For nine months, Asia Morton lived at home in Dublin under an ankle monitor she never tripped. A Sonoma County judge jailed her anyway on Friday — twelve months behind bars for helping the man charged with killing her old boss, the general manager of San Francisco's Condor Club.
The sentence closes the smaller of two cases growing out of the October 2025 death of Mark Calcagni, the 60-year-old who ran North Beach's historic topless club and was found shot outside his Santa Rosa home. But the bare Bay City News wire that surfaced the outcome this week buried what makes it matter locally: a victim's family on the record saying an accessory plea let a defendant off easy, and a murder trial for the alleged shooter opening Aug. 28.
The bigger reckoning arrives in less than two weeks: Richard Lund — Morton's then-boyfriend and fellow ex-employee — goes on trial for murder Aug. 28, with prosecutors set to argue Calcagni was killed because he fired the two over an alleged drug operation at the club. Calcagni, 60, was found shot in a bike lane outside his Santa Rosa home in October 2025.
Judge Lynnette Brown handed Morton, 25, a split two-year term — twelve months in county jail, then a year of mandatory supervision, the Press Democrat's Isabel Beer reported from Friday's hearing in Santa Rosa. Morton, identified in the Bay City News wire that first carried the sentence as a former bartender at the Condor Club, had pleaded no contest to a lone accessory count — a charge that sits apart from the murder case against Lund. Prosecutors said her part came after the fact: they alleged she helped him line up two vehicles and kept in contact with him through the hours of the killing.
Her lawyer, Walter Rubenstein, pushed for a monitor or work release instead of a cell, pointing to the clean nine months his client had already served on electronic supervision. He told the court that the overseas trip Morton took with her father had been booked well before the shooting — not a bid to flee. Officers arrested her as she came back into the country on Oct. 24, 2025, at San Francisco International Airport, according to the same Bay City News wire. Rubenstein added that his client had kept her contrition brief on his advice, since more charges could still come her way.
None of it swayed the judge. She fixed on the brief letter of remorse Morton had turned in during early June — a note the prosecution derided as proof of the "depraved indifference" it said ran through the whole case. Brown agreed it fell short, ruling that it dodged accountability and offered too little. She weighed Morton's youth and clean record in the defendant's favor but called her conduct in the days afterward "incredibly concerning." Because she had stayed free on the monitor, Morton earned no credit for time served.
Calcagni's relatives watched by Zoom, and they did not hide their disgust. His daughter, Cyre Calcagni Kay, told the court her father had raised her and her siblings as a single dad from the age of 22. "We didn't just lose a father, we lost our compass," she said in a statement a victim advocate read aloud. His brother Keith was blunter: "Our family feels as if Asia is getting off easy." Brown said she understood the family's desire for a harsher sentence but was limited by the crime to which Morton pleaded no contest.
The wire item that surfaced this week — a terse Bay City News brief carried by SFGATE — noted the outcome and moved on. It left out the case now barreling toward a jury. At a two-day preliminary hearing in April, Santa Rosa detectives walked through their evidence against Lund, 43: traffic-camera and cell-phone data (external source, opens in a new tab) that placed him around Calcagni's street, doorbell-style video of a figure in dark clothing dropping two brown bags at the victim's door on Sept. 26, and a raid on the Dublin apartment that turned up ecstasy, scales and roughly $11,000 in cash. One detective testified that tracking data kept Lund near the victim's home for much of that day. Investigators also said Morton's iPad showed repeated searches for Santa Rosa news the morning of the shooting.
She fixed on the brief letter of remorse Morton had turned in during early June — a note the prosecution derided as proof of the "depraved indifference" it said ran through the whole case.
Lund has pleaded not guilty; his trial is set for Aug. 28 in Sonoma County Superior Court. As a condition of her sentence, Morton is forbidden from any contact with him.

The Discussion
Sign in to join the discussion.
Loading…