The West Menlo Triangle — 14 acres, about 60 homes, wrapped on three sides by Menlo Park — is the longest-running annexation attempt in San Mateo County history. Residents have wanted in since 2015, and the thing standing between them and a city they already shop, eat and school in isn't opposition. It's a property-tax negotiation the city keeps declining to finish.

This week the SF Chronicle retold the triangle's story through its most visceral symptom: cars tearing down a sidewalk-less stretch of Santa Cruz Avenue where pedestrians have died. But the reason a routine boundary correction has dragged on for more than a decade isn't traffic — it's the LAFCo annexation process, and specifically a property-tax-exchange deal Menlo Park never finished, weighed against a ~$60,000 price tag and downtown development priorities. A January 2026 council vote finally revived the bid.

California annexations run through a Local Agency Formation Commission, and before LAFCo can even hold a hearing, Menlo Park must pre-zone the land, amend its general plan, and cut a deal with the county over who keeps the property tax. For a decade, the city simply kept not doing the paperwork — until a January council vote finally forced the question of whether municipal government can still perform a basic act of housekeeping.

The triangle is a small unincorporated pocket, a residential wedge that county maps show hemmed in by city streets on nearly every side. For over a decade its homeowners have sought to join Menlo Park. Because the area is unincorporated, it is served by the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office rather than the Menlo Park Police Department — a distinction residents cite as a central reason to switch. Their application to the county dates to 2015. As the Peninsula nonprofit The Almanac documented (external source, opens in a new tab), a neighbor survey then found just one holdout; everyone else was supportive or indifferent.

Then the city stalled, over and over. Council members listed the matter among their yearly priorities in 2016 and again two years later, and formed a subcommittee to work out how tax dollars would be divided with San Mateo County. The subcommittee went silent and never reported back, pointing to staff vacancies (external source, opens in a new tab). Talks resumed in 2019, a staff memo floated a vote the next year, and then the pandemic wiped the schedule clean. Officials now concede much of that work has gone stale and must be redone.

Neighbor Lynne McClure was blunter last year: "We are effectively disenfranchised."

The mechanics explain the paralysis better than any villain. This is not a vote to welcome neighbors; it is a sequence of statutory hurdles. Under the county process, no hearing can happen until the city pre-zones the parcel and both the city and county adopt tax-exchange resolutions. Then come a general-plan amendment, a pair of public hearings, an ordinance, a Board of Supervisors resolution, and one last protest hearing. City staff estimated the whole effort near $60,000 and flagged that an environmental review under CEQA could add more. Residents, meanwhile, have already paid upward of $10,000 in fees just to stay in the queue.

That figure is the true fault line. The triangle amounts to less than 0.2% of the city's land area. Even so, according to The Almanac, staff cautioned the review would still eat considerable time and could push back other efforts — among them plans to build homes and garages atop city-owned downtown lots. At the Jan. 13 meeting, Mayor Betsy Nash said she would rather not divert employees while other priorities waited. Councilmember Drew Combs pushed the other way, framing the long-delayed promise as a test of whether the city can still execute something basic.

"I think it is an indication to people that city government works, because when you see something like this that has dragged on for 10 years … people can use it to say 'government doesn't work,'" Combs said, per The Almanac's account of the meeting. The council voted 3-1 to waive the residents' fees and keep the bid alive, with Nash dissenting and Councilmember Cecelia Taylor absent.

For residents, the stakes are less abstract. Triangle resident Kristen Kassai told the council the neighborhood feels "left out" — its households live, shop and eat in Menlo Park but, as she put it, "can't vote here," stranded in what she called a "no man's land" between county and city. Neighbor Lynne McClure was blunter last year: "We are effectively disenfranchised." Being outside the line means no ballot in Menlo Park races, no seat on its advisory bodies, and no resident pricing at municipal pools and fields; even mature trees on their lots miss the safeguard the city's tree code would confer. The Chronicle's feature this week (external source, opens in a new tab) captured why the wait feels dangerous rather than merely bureaucratic: a homeowner of decades recalling a 2004 pedestrian death on the same road where drivers still blow past strollers.

The fee waiver settles nothing on its own. It merely revives a process that still has to clear LAFCo, the county, and a tax split that already fell apart once. What shifted in 2026 wasn't the neighbors' argument, which was always strong. It's that a council majority decided the price of looking broken finally outweighed the price of the paperwork.