A man was shot to death just after noon Friday inside a divided home on San Pedro Drive, the third killing recorded in Fremont this year — and while police say everyone involved is already in custody, they have released no name, no charges, and no account of what the shooting was about.

What the Fremont Police Department has said publicly is notable mostly for how thin it is: the episode was "isolated," there is "no ongoing threat," and all suspects are jailed. What that leaves out — who died, why several men were arrested, and whether the gunfire began as a robbery, as emergency-scanner traffic suggested — is the story neighbors on the block are left to piece together themselves.

For several hours starting a little after 1 p.m. Friday, officers sealed the corner where San Pedro Drive meets Baffin Avenue. A man had been shot in the chest at the house on that corner; he was taken to a trauma center and did not survive, ABC7 reported (external source, opens in a new tab). Police said it was an isolated incident, that the public faced no ongoing threat, and that they had arrested "multiple male subjects" — while declining to say how many, how old they are, or what they are accused of doing.

That spare official account sits awkwardly next to what people nearby described. A neighbor across the street, Regenald Maharaj, told ABC7 that his home security camera was recording around the time of the shooting, timestamped near 12:12 p.m. He said he heard a loud bang like gunfire, then, a minute or two later, spotted a person fleeing on foot down the street. After the bang, he added, the camera picked up a baby crying. Maharaj said he grew up in the neighborhood and had never seen anything so violent "up close and personal."

Scanner audio relayed by ABC7 captured a responder reporting a single male gunshot victim in cardiac arrest as officers moved through the residence checking for anyone else. The same chatter, the station reported, hinted the shooting may have begun as a robbery — a possibility Fremont police pointedly left out of their statement.

The location undercuts the tidy "isolated" framing. Neighbors told ABC7 the house is split into several units, and that during the investigation residents — including toddlers — clustered on the porch and front lawn. Some said the property had drawn concern before Friday. None of that appears in the police version, which presents the killing as a closed loop: a shooting happened, and everyone responsible is now behind bars.

Context matters for how unusual this is. Fremont, a city of roughly 230,000, records homicides in the low single digits most years, and the department tracks them on a public incidents-of-public-interest portal (external source, opens in a new tab). The city's first killing of 2026 came Jan. 2; its second was a Feb. 3 shooting near Central Avenue and Joseph Street — a case the Press Democrat logged (external source, opens in a new tab) and in which two people were later arrested (external source, opens in a new tab). Friday's makes three. That keeps Fremont on a familiar low-but-not-zero pace — the kind of number a police department can cite to argue the streets are safe even as one family on San Pedro Drive lives the opposite.

What's missing is the reporting only the department can supply: the victim's identity, pending release by the Alameda County Sheriff's Coroner's Bureau; the charges against the men in custody; and a straight answer to whether this was a robbery, a fight among people who knew each other, or something else. Fremont police asked anyone with information to reach its Investigations Unit at (510) 790-6900. For now, the official story of the city's third homicide amounts to two adjectives — "isolated," "no threat" — and an assurance that the danger has already passed.